Hot Shots- Town and Country
This month we feature the Town & Country Fire Department, Inc. The Department became incorporated on April 14, 1949, with headquarters at 130 Gardner Road, Horseheads, NY 14845. The current Fire Chief is Sean McInerny. The Town & Country Fire Department is a private corporation providing contract fire protection services for parts of the of Horseheads and Town of Veteran. Their diverse coverage area encompasses over 60 square miles of commercial, residential and rural areas. The department has 24 members, with 16 active responders and is run by a Board of Directors.
Town and Country Fire Department has nine response vehicles:
· Engine 1631- 1995 E-ONE Pumper with 1000 gallon tank (Reserve Engine)
· Engine 1632- 2019 Alexis Pumper with 1000 gallon tank
· Engine 1633- 1999 Pierce Pumper equipped with Technical Rescue Equipment
· Engine 1634- 2007 Pierce Pumper with 950 gallons of water and 25 gallons of foam
· Tower 1651- 2003 KME 102’ Platform Ladder
· Tanker 1661-2010 Fouts Brothers 3000 gallon super tanker
· Brush 1671- 1995 GMC 3500 with 250 gallon skid unit
· Brush 1672- 2006 Kawasaki Mule
· Rescue 1681- 2001 Ford Excursion, NYS BLS First Responder Unit
Town and Country Fire Department runs a year-round Can and Bottle Drive. They have a drop off area located across the road from their station on Gardner Road. Members count and sort the cans and bottles and use the money to assist with purchasing various life safety equipment for the department.
The Department participates in many various community events throughout the year, including providing standby coverage for the Chemung County Fairgrounds. Members house an engine, medical response vehicle and a crew during the weeklong annual event. In addition, each year they hold an open house at their headquarters during Fire Prevention Week, featuring various demonstrations of their equipment. Applications are available for anyone interested in joining the emergency service.
For more information visit: